Forum

Lab Equipment

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Lab Equipment Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:59 pm
Do you know if the lab equipment can be in the same room as the blood draw station? Our idea is to bring the patient into the lab and draw them there. I have heard some conflictions with that type of set up. Let me know if you can help with this, thank you!
Last edited by d.maxwellmt on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.maxwellmt

Re: lab equipment Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:01 pm
I am not aware of a regulation that prohibits it however we strongly recommend that the patient not be in the lab.  We recommend this for the following reasons:(1) HIPAA violations – computer screens with patient info on them, lab requisitions in view of patients, tubes with other patients names on them, test reports for other patients, etc (2) Safety concerns – we typically consider the lab a dirty (contaminated area) where phlebotomy is “clean.”  You do not want your patients touching counters, knocking specimens over, etc. (3) Some people are just curious and try to touch the analyzers as well as contaminating their hands. (4) One other thing to consider is that if you are having issues in the lab that day it can be quite stressful on the tech and therefore stressful to the patient sitting the phlebotomy chair.  The patient may lose confidence in your results if they realize you are having problems.
todd.proud

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Operations