Forum

Specimen collection

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Specimen collection Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:37 pm
Hello! I have a few questions about specimen collection, correct solutions and time frame for certain specimens. Not sure if this website is intended to answer this type of questions.

1) when outing a specimen in formalin for routine work up, what does that mean? What work will be done in let's say a pair of tonsils sent in formalin for routine?

2) for fresh specimens, such as lymphoma specimens, are they required to be put in a bag, with ice surrounding the cup, or room temperature is fine to wait for collection of specimen from office to lab?

3) what type of specimens are "frozen" specimens, and what is meant by frozen?

Thank you!!

PS: A confused nurse

I would also love for you guys to point me in the right direction for a website or booklet that explains specimen collection!
ednailleana

Re: Specimen collection Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm
Every pathology lab must provide a procedure manual for specimen collection, handling and transport. While the process requirements will be similar for most laboratories each lab may have their own requirements that may be unique to that lab. For this reason you must follow their instructions. I would suggest that you contact the pathology laboratory that you will be sending your specimens to and ask for their manual.

While my earlier experience was with in the pathology and clinical laboratory my recent experience has been focused on the clinical lab. I will try to answer your specific questions but again I suggest that you contact the specific lab for their requirements. I am sure they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

1) Formalin is used to preserve pathology tissue specimens. I am not personally familiar with the term “outing”. As to what happens to a specimen when it is sent for routine examination I suggest you review the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histology and specifically the sample preparation section.

2) I think the lab that will process your lymphoma specimens should answer this question.

3) Frozen sections are explained in the following link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_section_procedure

4) I do not have a website or book to recommend. I think the manual you will get from your pathology lab will be your best resource for information.

Todd
todd.proud

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General