Forum

FIT

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
FIT Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:28 am
We recently replaced guaiac testing with fecal immunochemical testing (FIT). A provider asked if we could still provide and perform the guaiac testing for anemic patients. The reasoning is that FIT is specific to the lower GI while the guaiac will detect blood throughout the intestinal system. I can understand the reasoning, but feel this would be very difficult to manage. Has anyone else dealt with this or have suggestions?
Jane Metko

Re: FIT Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:22 pm
Dear Jane.
As I am sure you are aware, the FIT test has a better sensitivity: specificity ratio compared to the guaiac test as well as less patient preparation and dietary restrictions. However there is still a place for guaiac testing if the physician is looking to detect bleeding from the entire GI tract as with anemia patients. We would suggest that you speak with you Lab Director regarding the clinical need to perform both test kits in your facility. With that said, as a POL manager I have made concessions in the past like this at the request of my providers. This practice had the nursing staff provide the guaiac test cards to the patient if the physician wanted to test certain anemic patients. When specimens were returned by mail, the nurses completed testing. The lab staff was responsible for administration and testing of the FIT test kit.
Susan.Cramer

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General