Q about intraindividual coefficient of variation

Q about intraindividual coefficient of variation Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:45 pm
Dear lab community,
I have a question regarding the intraindividual coefficient of variation of lab markers. I am calculating for a study (I am a medical student from Vienna) the RCV of different biomarkers and I have encountered the issue that I can't find the CVi (Westgard or EFLM) for a couple of them. What striked me as a bit strange is that there is a value to be found for conjugated, but not for unconjugated Bilirubin. Other Biomarkers I couldn't find a CVi for are for example: Anti Xa activity, Thrombin clotting time, PO2...
Is there a reason why there isn't any value for these? Any help would be greatly aprreciated.

Cheers

Sam
Sam

Re: Q about intraindividual coefficient of variation Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:31 am
Sam,
The Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988 addressed the need for laboratory precision, specific to proficiency testing. When considering precision, they looked at testing that is commonly ordered and clinically meaningful. This is why not all lab tests are included in their CLIA test standards documentation which I have attached here. Periodically this is reviewed and new tests may be included. Unconjugated bilirubin is typically a calculation in the US, and as such would not be considered as a regulated analyte under PT testing. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Copy of CLIA Test Standards.xls
(31 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scramer

Re: Q about intraindividual coefficient of variation Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 pm
Dear scramer, thanks for your answer . This now makes sense for unconjugated Bilirubin. I looked through the document and I could find biomarkers such as Blood gas pO2 which are listed in the CLIA document but I still can't find a CVi for it.
Sam

Return to General