Lab tech or Chemist?

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Lab tech or Chemist? Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 am
Question for everyone here:

What is your definition of a lab tech vs. that of a chemist?

It really irks me when people refer to me as a lab tech, which to me sounds entry level.

I started doing bench work in 94, and have been doing instrumentation (GC) since 2005.

Case in point: When I was laid off and looking for a job doing GC work, I got a LOT of calls for lab tech positions: "You'd be in charge of complicated scientific equipment doing tests like pH and titrations."

Something online said the difference between the two is chemists have PhDs and lab techs don't.

Weigh in, please. I'd love to hear some feedback.


I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.


-explainer video
User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:31 am

Re: Lab tech or Chemist? Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 am
These titles are interchanged frequently. I really think each user defines for themselves the exact definition. My opinion has always been that a lab tech works with biological patient samples and has either a associates or bachelors degree. (MLT, MT) Sometimes even a masters degree. A chemist works in a research position and usually has a Masters or PhD degree. However this is my interpretation. I am interested to see what the other members think as well.
User avatar
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:06 am

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Operations

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest