Forum

GC/MS Positive for Methadone

4 posts • Page 1 of 1
GC/MS Positive for Methadone Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:14 pm
As a criminal defense attorney in the middle of the national opiate/opioid epidemic, especially here on Long Island, I come across countless young men and women caught in the firm grasp of the disease of addiction. While the majority of clients find themselves in jail or prison for being unable to maintain recovery through court mandated treatment programs, I take great joy in witnessing the very few who actually receive the message in these programs and work hard everyday to get and stay clean and sober. Usually when a client reports a failed drug test to me I am not surprised because I could see that eventuality taking place long before the news is delivered. However, I was recently caught completely by surprise over a reported failed test from a client of mine who has not shown any signs of slipping before the test. As a matter of fact, the client had been successful in remaining clean and sober for over two years while attending a series of court mandated treatment programs. This failed test comes right at the end of his diverted sentence where he is merely days away from completion. The positive test was a urinalysis done by his outpatient facility as part of his participation in their Suboxone maintenance program. The client tested positive on an immunoassay screen and the GC/MS breakdown showed the positive to be a result of Methadone & it's metabolite EDDP. The client has since sworn his innocence and claimed the test to be a false-positive reading due to taking Benedryl on a daily basis. Working in this field for many years I know the industry considers GC/MS testing to be the gold standard and pretty much rules out the possibility of a false positive by breaking down and identifying each and every metabolite present in the urine to conclusively pinpoint the origin. The idea that a test with such a high regard would not be able to discern Benadryl from Methadone was impossible, so I thought. The client has since sent me a series of medical journal publishings that have since made me think that he might be telling me the truth. According to one journal, study finding reported that there were instances of false-positive GC/MS positives for Methadone and EDDP as a result of Benadryl use. I was hoping that I could ask this community what their experience has been with this issue and whether or not the false-positive theory my client has been pleading to me is at all possible. Are there certain levels of the metabolites found in the GC/MS testing of the urine that could tell whether the origin was actually Benadryl or Methadone? In other words, is it possible that due to the client's consumption of Benadryl the drug was broken down in his body into the metabolites also present in Methadone and excreted in his urine with the same or similar molecular breakdown as Methadone and the technician possibly misread the results? If this young man is telling the truth I don't want to see him severely punished for what amounts to a biological mistake that he suffers from for the rest of his life. On the other hand, I would also like to have some information to reference if his claims of a false-positive are actually impossible so they lying ends and the truth comes out. Thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to provide me with my inquiry.
KappyEsq

Re: GC/MS Positive for Methadone Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:18 am
Hi there,
Even though I am only a Clinical Pathologist, and am not a toxicologist, after doing a quick literature review, I came across these 2 papers.

Hope they help
Best regards

Commonly prescribed medications and potential false-positive urine drug screens.
Brahm NC, Yeager LL, Fox MD, Farmer KC, Palmer TA.

Rapid urine drug screens: diphenhydramine and methadone cross-reactivity.
Rogers SC, Pruitt CW, Crouch DJ, Caravati EM.
nwm00

Re: GC/MS Positive for Methadone Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 am
Informative post!! Good to know about GC/MS. Opiate addiction is rapidly increasing these days. And one of my friends was badly affected with it as she used to take drugs daily. But soon I forced her to take treatment for it. We approached to suboxone treatment virginia beach center that really helped her to overcome this addiction.
Coplen_02

Re: GC/MS Positive for Methadone Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 am
Opiate addiction being one of the biggest drug problems today. My friend was also suffering from this problem. Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism. :roll:
aaliyah

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Regulatory